How to run Find similar files
Why a limit of 5000
Can I change this limit
Q: How to run Find similar files
A: Running the plug-in require only 2 steps:
- Select the images in Lightroom you want the plug-in to work on
- Choose Menu -> Library -> Plug-in Extra -> Find Similar File names
Choose "Find similar file names"
The result of the search for images is stored in 3 Collections in Lightroom, see screenshot below
- Source files
This collections holds all images you selected as input for the search operation.
This collections stores all the images found, inclusive the selected images.
The difference between the 2 collections = all images found exclusive the selected ones themselves.
Q: Why a limit of 5000
A: The search mechanism this plug-in uses is similar to that of "Smart Collections". To protect the user from very long running tasks, this limit is set.
However, this limit can be changed easily.
Q: Can I change this limit
A: Yes you can, but at your own risk!!
Follow these steps to change the maximum number of photos to be checked:
- Close Lightroom
- Go to the "Find similar files" plug-in directory
- Search for files called like "TranslatedStrings_xx.txt"
xx stands for the language you are using.
If your language is not there the default "en" will be used.
- Make a copy of the original file
- Open this file with an editor
- Search for the text "$$$/SimilarFileNames/Settings/MaxPhotos=5000"
- Change the number behind.
- Save the file
- Restart Lightroom